PCL XL error insufficient memory
If you are using the HP LaserJet printer, you may find yourself stuck with PCL XL error. While printing the documents, the user often notices that their printer has returned a single sheet with ‘PXL XL’ printed on it. This error indicates that your printer is having trouble processing and converting the images for fonts into the printable format due to some printer problems. Instead of changing your document, you can troubleshoot the PCL XL error problem with the help of simple guidelines. In this post, we are going to share some simple instructions that can help you in troubleshooting the problem. So, fix the issue and continue with smooth printing experience in the future.
Troubleshoot PCL XL error printer
Here are some simple troubleshooting steps that can help you to resolve the problem. You do not need to try all of them, just follow one by one until your printer starts to print again.
Rename the files related to your printer
- Open the file explorer in your system.
- Go to ‘ C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3′.
- Here, find the ‘File Type’ with .gpd extension and click on the ‘Down Arrow’ button present next to the ‘Type’.
- Select ‘GPD’ file.
- Rename the file with ‘.gpd’ extension. We suggest you take the backup first before you rename the file.
- Save the changes and restart your system.
Now, try to print the documents and check if the error is fixed. Otherwise, proceed with the next troubleshooting step.
Update the printer driver
Missing or outdated printer driver could also be the reason behind this problem. To fix the PCL XL printer error, you can update the printer drivers. There are two ways to do this; you can do it manually or you can do it automatically. For the manual update, you need to visit the HP official website. The manual update process is quite hectic and there are higher chances of mistake. Thus, we recommend you to update the drivers automatically using the driver easy tool. Here are the steps to follow:
- Download the Driver Easy, and install it on your device following the onscreen instructions.
- Run ‘Driver Easy’ and click on the ‘Scan Now’ button. The software will scan your Windows PC and detect the driver issues.
- Click on the ‘Update’ option to automatically download the required latest driver available.
- Click on the ‘Update All’ option if you want to install the correct version of all the latest drivers available for your device.
- Restart your printer and computer to check if the problem is resolved.
Still Not Resolved? Change Printer Settings
The wrong printer configuration and settings could also be the reason behind PCL XL error. Here is what you can do to fix the problem:
- Go to the Control Panel on your computer. Make sure to view by small icons for large icons.
- Click on the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Right-click on the printer facing PCL XL issue, choose ‘Printing Preferences’ option.
- Go to the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Change ‘Truly Type Font’ to the ‘Download as Softfont’. After that, set ‘Send True Type as Bitmap’ to ‘Enabled’.
- Hit the ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ button and save the changes.
- Restart the printer and computer.
Hopefully, with the above-mentioned troubleshooting guidelines, you can simply fix the PCL XL printer error on your HP printer. But, if these troubleshooting steps are also not helping you to fix the issue, we suggest you contact the printer manufacturer and take their advice to find and fix the problem.