Users often get ‘Printer Drivers Unavailable’ error while using the printer. This error occurs when the drivers installed against the printer are outdated or incompatible. It may also mean that drivers are corrupted or the system is unable to recognize the drivers. Printer driver unavailable error is very common but if it occurs, you will not be able to use the printer to execute the printing jobs. Thus, it is important to troubleshoot the issues. Take a look at some reliable solutions that may help you to troubleshoot the error.
Solution 1: Uninstall the Printer
To fix the driver unavailable for printer error, either you can uninstall the printer drivers, software and then install them again or you can go through the available printer drivers and choose the right one for your device. Here are the steps you need to follow for this:
- Press ‘Windows + R’ key and type ‘Control’ in the dialog box. Hit the Enter button. In the control panel, select ‘View by Large Icons’ option. Click on the ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Now, you can see the list of all available printers. You have to click on the printer that is creating the trouble and choose ‘Remove Device’ option.
- After that, press ‘Windows+R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’. Go to the ‘Print Queue’ category and right click on your printer. Here to have to choose ‘Uninstall Device’ option.
- Press ‘Windows + R’ and type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the dialog box and hit the enter button. Here, you will see the list of all applications. Right click on your printer application and tap to uninstall.
Once you have executed all the aforementioned steps, disconnect the printer. Shut down your PC, printer, and router. Wait for about 10 minutes and plug back all the cable to start the devices. Use a USB connection to connect the computer to the printer. Wait for the detection and let it install the required printer drivers. Go back to the Control Panel and select ‘Set as Default printer’ option. Try to print a test page and check if the problem is sorted or not. This will fix Printer driver unavailable error in your device.
Solution 2: Manually Reinstall the Latest Drivers
If the aforementioned steps do not help you out to fix the problem, update the printer drivers manually. In some cases, the printer stops working after the Windows 10 upgrade as the updated drivers are not compatible with the system and sometimes display an error ‘driver is unavailable printer’. To counter this issue, manually update the printer drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Before you proceed further, you have to make sure that you navigate to the manufacturer website and download the drivers from there.
- Press ‘Windows + R’ key to launch the Run and type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box. Hit the enter button. This will launch the device manager of your computer.
- Navigate through the hardware and open the submenu ‘Printer Queues’. Right click on the printer hardware and choose ‘Update Driver’ option.
- A pop-up dialog box will appear and ask you whether you want to update the drivers. Choose the second option and proceed further.
- Use the browse button and choose the driver file you downloaded and update accordingly.
In some cases, you may not able to see the printer in device manager. So, run the Installer and driver will get automatically installed.
Now, check whether your printer is properly working or not. If it is, go to the official Microsoft website and download “wushowhide.diagcab” package. After that, run the package and choose the Hide Update option. At last, you have to choose printer update option and tap to continue. This will fix your Printer driver unavailable problems and bring the printer back to its normal functioning.